Fresh cranberries and Kokum (Garcinia indica) have a very similar flavor profile where each fruit is really tart and has some great nutritional benefits. I grew up drinking Kokum Soda all my childhood and college days. This is one drink, I religiously never forget to drink , the moment I land in Mumbai, however busy my schedule maybe.
There is something truly nostalgic about Kokum Soda that takes me back in college memories, every time I drink. Well back to the present day but when i popped up a fresh cranberry in my mouth and I was adjusting to the overwhelming tartness , my mind suddenly connected the taste of Cranberry to Kokum for some reason and then I forgot about it.
On Saturday when i was finishing up my Tea and breakfast , I was watching the “The Kitchen” show and Geoffrey Zakarian gave the idea of serving Cranberry Champagne for dinner. As soon as I saw that , it just clicked to me that I could make a cranberry Syrup and mix it with Seltzer water or better yet make my DH use his Soda stream and make Cranberry Soda.
Kokum Soda is nothing actually but Kokum syrup mixed with soda water and with a heavy dose of chat masala. So I tried replicating the same flavors but used cranberry instead.
After making the syrup and drinking the cranberry soda infused with cumin, I knew I have hit on a great drink, I can play around with and serve it to the guests as a refresher for my Thanksgiving party.
So off we go to make the Cranberry Cumin syrup that can be mixed with seltzer water or in a soda stream to make cranberry soda. If you don’t have a soda stream, buy some seltzer water and mix the syrup . The taste will be pretty much the same.
So what all soft drinks or cocktails do you serve your guests at any party?
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp. carom seeds/ajwain
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. honey
- Heat a pan on medium heat
- Add the 1/2 cup water and the 1 cup cranberries to the pan
- Add the salt, carom seeds, cumin powder to mix
- Let all the cranberries pop and form into a mush
- simmer it for 5 minutes
- Add the 4 tsp. honey and let it simmer for another 5 minutes
- Switch off the flame and let it cool
- Keep it in a airtight container in refrigerator
- To make the soda, take two champagne glasses, add 2 tsp. of the syrup to the bottom and then slowly pour the seltzer water in it and mix.
- To use it in the soda stream, one botlle of soda stream is 1 litre of water , so add around 7 tsp of syrup to get the correct taste. if you want more, you can always add more and make it more salty sweet if you want.